Let me start off by saying that I’m not chef by any means. But as you can tell from BCTCBlog I do love food and have a keen interest in learning more about it. Food is such a massively diverse and deep topic that I sometimes feel is an impossible mountain to climb. I also know that doing is the best way to learn. So whenever I see an easy enough recipe, I keep it and give it a go.
I was given Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cookery Course book for my birthday and it’s just started on DSTV! So each week I sit with the book and follow the recipes on tele. Last week was the pork chop and red pepper recipe which seemed easy enough so I tried it last night. I bought the chops at the B&P Pick N Pay in Newlands! For about R27 for 2 so it’s inexpensive and easy. I halved the recipe as I was cooking for 2 not 4.
- Slice 1 red pepper
- Slice half a red onion
- Fan fry until soft (4-5 mins, veg must sizzle in pan)
- Then add 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of caster sugar.
- 2 tbsps on red wine vinegar (let it reduce for 2 mins)
- Decant into another bowl & sprinkle with olive oil (I did this but I doubt the meal needs any extra fat!).
- Cut the pork chop fat into squares so it doesn’t curl up. (This is quite a mission, I had to use scissors & bang down on them!)
- Season the pork chops with salt & pepper & push seasoning into chops.
- Put chops, garlic (crushed clove) & thyme into pan.
- Cook for 3 mins a side (I did it for like 5 mins oops!)
- Add a knob of butter and baste over chops to keep them moist.
Put the chops and peppers on a plate. Ensure you let the chops rest for 5 mins so they remain moist. Being South African, I had to add a starch. I think mash potato would go really well but I only had oven chips in the deep freeze! So I used those. The recipe also suggests using basil with the peppers but I didn’t have any so I just threw some rocket on top. Rocket and peppers always go well together 🙂
Born up a tree!
Original Recipe by Gordon Ramsay.