As thousands of competitors flock to Cape Town to participate in one of the world’s most reknown bicycle ride, The Cape Argus Cycle Tour, the South African sportsman Francois Pienaar isn’t forgetting to give back. The former Springbok Rugby coach (and friends) created the Mad Charity organisation back in 2003 in an attempt to help academically talented individuals who do not have the financial means to fulfill their talents.
This year the Mad Charity Organisation, along side Klein Constantia and Omega-Pharma Quick-Step, have invited “the most accomplished rider that cycling has ever known” EDDY MERCKX to cycle together during the Cape Argus Cycle tour and raise funds for Mad Charity. Merckx won the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia five times EACH as well as the Vuelta a Espana once. After winning all major bike races at least twice, 19 classics victories in total, Merckx also broke the world record three times as a professional, becoming a World Champion, and once as an amateur during his cycling career (1965 – 1978).
- A trip for two to the Tour de France to follow the Omega-Pharma Quick-Step Pro team in the race, kindly been sponsored by Klein Constantia.
- A weekend away to the 5-star Royal Malewane, The Birkenhead and La Residence have also been provided by the Royal Portfolio.
- Top range of road bikes from Specialized Bikes
- Wine hamper from Klein Constantia (not to be used simultaneously 😉 )
- Eddie Marckx cycle memorabilia
- Donald Greig Bronze sculptures.
Francois Pienaar quotes our famous Madiba as his inspiration, “Education is the most powerful weapon which can be used to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela.
This event has now been opened to the public. Tickets are available for R500 per person (including tapas, selection of wines and entertainment).
- Who: Eddy Marckx Cocktail Function for Mad Charity
- Where: Klein Constantia Wine State
- When: Friday, 7th March 2014
- Why: Mad Charity Organisation event fundraiser.
- What: Contact Lauren Kruger on 082 303 3377 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book tickets to this exclusive event.
Join the Mad Charity 2014 Facebook Page for further event updates.