Do you have a MySchool card? A few years ago my friend Joelle asked us to get one for her birthday. She requested that instead of buying her presents, that we donate to trying to save the rhinos every time we shop. I thought it was a really great idea and have been contributing to the fund ever since (which is over 5 years). To date, R9.3 million has been raised thanks to MyPlanet Rhino Fund supporters.
Happy 20th Birthday MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet! #MySchool20
For the last 20 years, together as a nation, over 1.2 million supporters have given back over R500 MILLION Rand to good causes! One of South Africa’s most trusted and established community loyalty programmes, MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet is celebrating its 20th anniversary after launching in 1997.
With the aim of empowering consumers to make a difference to education, the programme has grown significantly and today raises more than R6 million a month for a wide range of schools, charities and conservation organisations.
“Our model is really simple and impactful and consistent, and that’s what people enjoy. It is fundraising for causes that people really care about and empowering them to choose where the money goes. Customers, businesses and communities are connected in a practical way with everyone playing their part to make a difference in our country.” – says Pieter Twine, General Manager of MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet
Hey Frank Pietersen, Here’s R5000!
While abroad in the UK earlier this month, I was given the distinct honour to donate R5000 to a worthy charity. Because I was overseas to support my brother Dan Shout, who was playing South African jazz at the Cork Jazz Festival, I decided to put the money back into music education.
While getting my Uber to Paddington station to leave, I had a female Uber driver from Somalia. We were discussing how lucky the kids of the UK were to have so many incredible resources at their disposal. How I WISHED I could take 100 kids from South Africa, send them to the UK and watch how they blossom with so many resources at their finger tips.
While I may not be able to do that, I am able to add funding to opportunities like the Frank Pietersen Music Centre. A Department of Education supported Institution, the Frank Pietersen Music Centre offers affordable and accessible music education for all. They strive for:
- For the musical development of learners and adults.
- To provide a stable and dependable infrastructure.
- To complement the musical activities taking place in surrounding day schools and broader community.
- To continually search for new talent and potential.
- To equip learners to use their acquired skills and knowledge to continue their education and to follow careers in music.
So with those two inspirations in mind, I have decided to donate my MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet R5000 to the Frank Pietersen Music School.
We have some exceptional local opera singers, jazz musicians and ballerinas in South Africa (to name a few arts) – if more people were just given the chance to explore their talents, South Africa would be a better place. This is why I’m putting the money back into music and culture in the Western Cape.
Share #MySchool20 and WIN a R20 000 Woolies Gift Card & R20 000 for Charity!
MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet is celebrating its 20th anniversary by giving back to its supporters and communities. Their campaign encourages supporters and influencers alike to not simply swipe for their favourite cause but to talk about them. Simply by using the hashtag on Facebook or Twitter and sharing which cause they support, 20 lucky customers can each win a R20 000 Woolworths gift card plus a R20 000 cash donation to their school or charity.
Get Your Own Card
- If you’d like to get your own card (for free), register online at www.myschool.co.za, call 0860 100 445, download the app or get a card at your local Woolworths store. It’s quick and easy.
- Select up to 3 schools or charities you wish to support.
- When you purchase items from participating retailers, swipe your card with the purchase and a small percentage of your transaction is then allocated to your nominated beneficiary school or charity.
- The partner stores pay the donation on behalf of the cardholder. All these transactions are recorded and a statement is sent to individual supporters on a monthly basis.
- The supporter card is not a credit or debit card but simply tracks transactions and funds raised.
THANK YOU WOOLWORTHS & MYSCHOOL MYVILLAGE MYPLANET!
I really hope the donation makes a difference to the Frank Pietersen Music Centre and that more people are education about the wonders of music.