I’ve been meaning to tell you about this for SO LONG! (This is becoming my swan song, I know!) But last summer Mr John and I visited Kirstenbosch Gardens for the Galileo Open Air Cinema and it was TOO amazing! It was so much more than I expected it to be; it’s the perfect date night.
My First Experience at Galileo Open Air Cinema
We arrived at dusk with the light fading behind the mountains. Parked right outside the top gates, had a very short walk into a “secret” field and found our place. I say secret as this little opening isn’t one I’ve been to before.
All the movies they play are classics, sometimes from the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s or naughties, and they are a joy! I chose to go on the night that Ghost was playing because it was date night. Mr John hates Whoopi Goldberg so I kinda made him watch it just to prove how amazing she is (I mean, WHO hates Whoopi Goldberg?!). And of course, she was amazing and even won the Oscar for Ghost!
Treats at the Movies
What I loved about the movie is how prepared they were! There are a number of food stalls, drinks available, they provides chairs and blankies. So arrive with nothing and enjoy the night! I didn’t really know this though so I did bring my own blankie along. Theirs are better though as they resist the damp more (the lawn gets damp after dark).
Where is Galileo Open Air Cinema?
Venues include Kirstenbosch Gardens and the V&A Waterfront as weeknight hosts, Bloemendal Wine Estate in Durbanville taking up the Tuesday night slot. Friday nights work on rotation – moving between Meerendal Wine Estate, Fedisa Rooftop, Central Park in Century City, The Castle of Good Hope and The Alphen Boutique Hotel. Catch Saturday screenings at select wine estates in Paarl, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Somerset West. You’re spoilt for choice this year.
Book for Galileo Open Air Cinema
- Time: Doors open at 6pm on weekdays, 5pm on Saturdays and 4pm on Sundays.
- Movie Time: Movie starts as soon as it’s dark.
- Lineup: Click here to see what’s on.
- Food: Buy snacks there or order in advance and collect your pack when you check-in.
- Ticket prices: Standard: R89 (entry only), Warm: R97 (plus blanket), Comfy: R105 (plus backrest), Warm & comfy: R110 (plus blanket and backrest), VIP: R175 (Reserved premium seating, a drink, blanket, backrest, popcorn and sweets), Snuggle: R320 per couple (blankets, chocolates, pillows, mattresses).
Arrive early, find your spot on the lawn and enjoy an evening of artisan food and drinks, games, lively music and an overall great vibe.
WIN Tickets to Galileo Open Air Cinema
I have a number of tickets available to use before the end of January. If you’d like to win a set of tickets:
- Please leave your e-mail address on THIS Facebook post (click that link please) and
- Share the Facebook post too please. (Make sure the post is set to private so that I can see your share).
Honestly, the Galileo was SO much fun and the PERFECT date night during summer holidays!