This weekend will see the inauguration of the first official Cape Town Street Food Festival! Street food has been a massive global foodie trend for the last few years (apart from existing on the planet in various forms for decades) and it’s surprising it’s taken Cape Town so long to jump on the band wagon.
When I visited London last year, I deliberately went to the White Cross Street food market to seek out Andy Bates and his street feasts! Unfortunately he wasn’t there that day but I did enjoy trying out a rabbit scotch egg. This is what street food is all about. Fresh, on the go, eat to eat food that is great value for money.
Cape Town Street Food Festival 2014 is taking place at Sidestreet Studios in Woodstock on Sunday 27 July. The festival will start in the morning at 9am with a street food market running until 3pm. Entrance to the market is free and everyone is welcome.
- 9:00 – Market opens (entrance is free)
- 10:00 – Talks start
- 15:00 – Talks end
- 16:00 – Market closes
- 19:00 – Dinner starts
Cape Town Street Food Talks (Price: R297.95)
Some of Cape Town’s most well-known street food entrepreneurs will share their secrets to success in a talks session from 10am – 3pm. The day will end off with a special street food dinner collaboration, prepared by some of the speakers at the Cape Town Street Food Talks. The Street Food Talks will feature:
- Pop-up pioneer Yang Zhao opened moved to open her own restaurant: Beijing Opera.
- Wongama Baleni is co-owner of Department of Coffee, the first locally owned artisanal township coffee shop.
- Gusto is a Spanish catering business specialising in markets, private events and festivals.
- Andy Fenner is the owner of the very successful Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants.
This one-day seminar features talks by some of Cape Town’s most dynamic food entrepreneurs, sharing their own experiences and lessons learned from the challenges they faced along the way. Talks programme:
- 9:00 Registration and coffee
- 10:00 Andrew Kai and Matthew Freemantle (Mucho Gusto)
- 10:30 Kate Schrire (The Creamery)
- 11:00 COFFEE BREAK
- 11:30 Tebogo Makama wine and braai pairing
- 12:00 Yang Zhao (Beijing Opera)
- 12:30 LUNCH BREAK
- 13:30 In Foreign Transit
- 14:00 Andy Fenner (FFMM)
- 14:30 Department of Coffee
Cape Town Street Food Dinner (Price: R379.95
Cape Town’s finest street food entrepreneurs are coming together to prepare a one-of a kind street food dinner. The dinner collaborators include Ryan McDonagh (Lefty’s), Yang Zhao (Beijing Opera), Matthew Freemantle and Andrew Kai (Gusto), Heather Thompson (SOMA Confection) and Vanessa Marx (Dear Me). The meal includes five courses plus craft beers.